In this assignment, analyze the legal environment of a country (Russia). In the paper, make sure you:
1. Describe the legal environment of the country, making specific references to
– the rule of law (to what extent is the country governed by law as opposed to arbitrary decisions of individual government officials)
– laws that govern foreign direct investment (for example, are there provisions to attract foreign direct investment, such as tax incentives, most-favored-nation treatment, dispute resolution fora; or provisions that restrict foreign direct investors such as high local content requirements or currency exchange restrictions).
2. Discuss challenges and opportunities for American investors posed by the legal environment.
3. Based on the challenges and opportunities you have identified through your research, formulate two recommendations, with your supporting arguments, to an American investor to successfully navigate the country’s legal environment.
II. Grading Criteria
Maximum number of points = 10
– 1 point for respecting technical specifications (writing in essay format rather than bullet points; meeting the requirement of 2.5 pages, double-spaced, Times New Roman 12, 1.25 margins; the length of 2.5 pages is a specific requirement; maximum of 3 pages accepted, beyond that there would be a penalty);
– 2 points for discussing the rule of law, i.e. accurately identifying the extent to which the country is governed by law as opposed to arbitrary decisions of individual government officials, backed up by evidence from primary sources and/or cited findings from secondary sources
– 3 points for identifying laws that govern foreign direct investment and discussing whether they are favorable or unfavorable for foreign investors (as specified in the prompts for the assignment, examples of relevant laws would be laws designed to attract foreign direct investment, such as tax incentives, most-favored-nation treatment, dispute resolution fora; or laws designed to restrict foreign direct investors such as high local content requirements or currency exchange restrictions); identifying 1 relevant law would earn 1 point; identifying 2 relevant laws would earn 2 points; to earn 3 points, the paper should identify at least 2 relevant laws (typically more) and identify overall trends in the country’s legal environment – for example, are most laws favorable or unfavorable to foreign direct investment/ do the laws favor foreign investors from a particular country of origin or from a particular sector of the economy/ is there an ongoing tendency to modify existing laws to make them more or less favorable to foreign investors
– 1 point for identifying challenges for American investors posed by the legal environment
– 1 point for identifying opportunities for American investors posed by the legal environment
– 2 points for formulating 2 recommendations (1 point for each recommendation) to an American investor to successfully navigate the country’s legal environment (the recommendations have to be actionable items; to get the full points, each recommendation has to be supported with arguments).
Recommended source: https://us.practicallaw.thomsonreuters.com/9-517-9366
To order the work click here