Replace “Answer:” in each quote below with a short, two or three sentence response identifying a fallacy in each of the following statements. Justify your answer. Your answers must comply with these rules:
11. Like everybody else, psychics have bad days. When a psychic has an off day, it’s usually because of their ultra sensitivity. It might be they’ve done too many readings that day or have been working in an altered state for too long without a break. Maybe they’re empathic and are still carrying a past client’s “emotional stuff.” It could be as easy for them to ground as going outside for some fresh air or eating a meal. If a psychic feels too scattered that day, they should call you to reschedule your reading.
12. Americans are largely incapable of comprehending what a proxy is. It’s one level too abstract. Ask people on the street about such matters, and the results would be akin to the 64% who cannot even find North Korea on a map. Korea’s location is in no way a secret, and the government doesn’t officially deny its existence.
– Joe Giambrone, explaining why we should believe 9/11 conspiracy theories.
13. A big smile spread across her face, and her eyes lit up. “There’s a baby on the way. Not now, but you’ll conceive in December.” One year later, on a cold February evening, I was pacing up and down in the bathroom waiting for an important result. My period had been late before, but never a week overdue. I screamed in disbelief.
– “Cynthia-Lawrence”, explaining how a psychic predicted her pregnancy.
14. The Chilean navy has admitted it can’t explain a video filmed by its pilots showing a ‘UFO’ in the country’s airspace. A military helicopter captured the incredible footage in November during a routine coastal patrol. The craft – spotted in broad daylight – was filmed using the chopper’s infrared camera.
– Tom Michael, a “reporter” for The Sun, UK
15. Spiritual energy is no less real than any other energy, like electricity for example, but is vastly more important. Spiritual energy is prana (also known as “universal life force” or “qi”) carried by pure love.
– Aetherius Society, on spiritual energy.
16. We are not talking about “ghosts” here, but the spiritual (not religious) level vibrational radiance from all matter in all dimensions, including non-physical ones. This is the emanation of the clear, clean, loving, primordial energy that allows things to exist. One day soon this energy will be universally recognized as the basic organizational level of all things. It is creational energy coming through as the signature vibrations of individuated forms. Science does not yet have a way to reliably detect or measure this energy.
– “Brad,” at Mesa Creative Arts.
16. Maybe this is a power we all have and I got it because I was electrocuted as a child by my mother’s sewing machine, and it triggered off more of my brain, thereby enabling me to demonstrate these phenomena. Next theory I have is that when I was very young I saw a light in the sky and it struck my forehead and I fell into the grass. I still don’t know what that was, but I’m open to the theory that it could be some kind of outside intelligence.
– Uri Geller, on how he became psychic.
17. Remote Viewing is a communication skill, which exhibits the ability to retrieve information that is remote in time and/or space from the viewer and which could not otherwise be known through the conventional senses of sight, smell, taste, touch or hearing or by any technical means. Last year, I made a proposal to demonstrate the veracity of remote viewing.
The results of the sessions showed that the viewers collected stunningly accurate data of the entire ten-target set, but were somewhat indiscriminate. They were unable to discern the particular target that Dr. Carlson had collected. My theory is that because of my proximity I may have had some kind of near-field effect on the field that constituted the targets. Dr. Carlson’s selection was lost in the crowd.
— Jimmy Williams, on why his remote viewing experiment didn’t work.
18. I like to think of psychic energy as akin to radio waves. Even without the radio on, the air is filled with invisible signals from countless radio stations operating on their various frequencies. All you have to do to receive them is to flick the radio on and tune the dial.
— John Edward
19. Professional pilots confirm that few of them are capable of envisioning an operation (like the 9/11 attacks), and formally exclude the possibility in the case of amateur pilots. On the other hand, there is an infallible method for attaining those objectives: using a beacon. A signal, emitted from a target attracts a plane that is on auto-pilot. It is probable that the signal was activated at the last minute to avoid detection and destruction.”
— Thierry Meyssan, The Appaling Deception, explaining who is responsible for the attacks on the World Trade Center.
20. Right before the September 11th attacks, some fishy business happened within the stock market and insurance firms. An “extraordinary” amount of put options were placed on United Airlines and American Airlines stocks, the same airlines that were hijacked during the attacks.
– NewsOne, offering evidence of a 9/11 conspiracy.