Using the essays, Bharati Mukherjee’s “Two Ways to Belong in America” and Frederick Douglass’ “Learning to Read and Write” to write the following essay:
Please read everything carefully:
( Mukherjee – Two ways to belong. pdf)
Link : https://drive.google.com/file/d/19s6vB0eYruqv-cLIdcJcZSYB7MvIiu4u/view?usp=sharing
( Learing to read and write. pdf)
Link : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kdoQB9R5jedNt0QSR0vPIMVyGJ75poal/view?usp=sharing
Essay question : Should an individual, either who is an immigrant or an oppressed person of color, accept his/her place in society (either by holding on to his/her own true culture and traditions or staying in oppression under which American society place them) and refuse to adapt to the expectations and ideals of a “true” American life? What is a “true” American life supposed to be?
PARAGRAPHS TO ORGANIZE AND WRITE ABOUT:
1. Start with crafting an introductory paragraph with a strong thesis statement.
2. Explain what a “true” American is supposed to be. What are the stereotypical qualities of America and the people who live here? What is an American supposed to believe, supposed to think? In this current political climate, how are immigrants and people of color thought of – do they fit into American culture/society or not? If not, why not? If so, how so? Is it harmful or helpful (mentally, emotionally, culturally) for immigrants/people of color to try to achieve a “true” version of an American without considering their own native culture and belief systems or life situations?
3. From “Two Ways to Belong in America,” analyze the personalities and behaviors of each sister – toward each other and also how they consider their lives (success, failures) in America. Depending upon the argument you picked, explain (and give quotes as support) how each sister accepts or rejects to live the ideal of a “true” American. Finally, do you believe that each sister achieved the requirements of your chosen argument?
4. From “Learning to Read and Write,” – analyze the personality and behavior of Douglass – how he considers his place in life (success, failures) in America. Depending upon the argument you picked, explain (and give quotes as support) how Douglass accepts or rejects to live the ideal of a “true” American (Be sure to analyze this information with the time in history that this essay was written). Finally, do you believe that Douglass achieved the requirements of your chosen argument?
5. Depending on your original argument, write one concluding paragraph that explain what you want your audience to learn from all your analysis.